Isuzu were announced as the proud sponsors of the Welsh Rugby Union
in 2017. This is a long-term partnership, which will see the Isuzu brand take
pride of place on the chests of the Welsh male and female international players, until 2021.
Our role was to support the activation of this sponsorship and fully
integrate it into Isuzu’s brand and dealer marketing, in order to raise brand
with a new and different audience for Isuzu.
With a five-year deal agreed, it was imperative we ensured every opportunity
was taken to make this relationship work really hard.
- Utilise all channels to maximise the opportunities presented by the sponsorship to amplify the investment and raise awareness to a new audience.
- Highlight the key values of Isuzu to a new and existing audience in a meaningful way.
To demonstrate the great fit between Welsh Rugby and Isuzu, our campaign focused on the shared values, so that should a fan be in the market for a hard-working, reliable, determined vehicle, they’d look to the Isuzu D-Max for the solution.
This ensured that beyond the experiential side of the sponsorship, that it was relevant for the whole Isuzu audience, whether they watched a film online, saw a press ad or engaged with a dealer miles away from Wales.
Working in conjunction with a specialist sports activation agency who delivered the match days activities, we ensured a seamless join between partners taking ownership of the branding for Isuzu Rugby-specific social channels, competitions, match day promotions etc in addition to ensuring the sponsorship strongly featured in all other brand activity.
FROM DAY 1, AN INTEGRATED CAMPAIGN INCLUDED:
- Stadium advertising: Impactful launch film, perimeter boards, VIP box branding and seasonal context-specific programme advertising as well as kit sponsorship
- Isuzu rugby-specific social media channels: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts for sport focused content to ensure the existing audience were not isolated
- Dealer materials: Press, direct mail and point of sale to ensure consistency at every touchpoint including a WRU welcome pack for dealers designed to get the dealer network geared up for the relationship
- Isuzu rugby-specific social media channels: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts leading to a website takeover and designated landing page on Isuzu.co.uk
- Adapts to all brand advertising to feature WRU logo and TV Sponsorship on S4C channels
A WINNING TEAM THAT WORKS
This execution was designed to compliment Isuzu’s brand campaign ‘It Just Works’. This ensured consistency for an existing audience, whilst also being relevant for the rugby audience and giving the sponsorship a distinctive look.
With pragmatism and budget in mind, the materials were creating using a combination new and existing assets, with the execution featuring both an Isuzu D-Max and well-known WRU ambassador players to make a visual connection between the two.
“Brand awareness has significantly improved since our sponsorship of Welsh Rugby. Website visits are up, brochure requests have increased and our rugby dedicated social platforms are gaining traction with the audience. I’m delighted that we’ve found a way to integrate with our highly successful brand and dealer campaigns on this platform so all communications fit together nationally”.George WallisIsuzu Marketing